Writing a novel can be a challenging experience, but adding a touch of surrealism can make it even more so. Here are some tips and techniques to help you create surreal characters that will captivate your readers. Surreal characters in a metafantastical novel can help transport your readers into a world that’s both strange and familiar, and evoke emotions that are beyond the ordinary.
Tips and Techniques for Creating Surreal Characters
Start with the basics
Just like with any other character, you need to have a solid understanding of your surreal character’s background, personality, and motivations. What is their history? What do they value? What drives them to act the way they do? Knowing the answers to these questions will help you create a character that feels real, even if they are not.
Symbolism is a powerful tool for creating surreal characters. For example, a character who represents fear might be depicted with a snake or a spider, or a character who symbolizes love might be depicted with a heart or a rose. By using symbols, you can evoke powerful emotions and associations in your readers, making your surreal characters even more memorable.
Use surreal physical attributes
Surreal characters often have physical attributes that are not found in the real world. This can range from a character having multiple arms or legs to having a strange shape or color. When you’re creating surreal characters, use physical attributes to reflect their inner character and symbolism.
Play with reality
A metafantastical novel is meant to blur the lines between reality and fantasy, and surreal characters are a great way to do this. For example, you can make your character’s reality shift, change size, or move in ways that are not possible in our world. This will help your reader understand that they are in a different, surreal world.
Give them their own voice
Every character, no matter how surreal, should have their own voice and mannerisms. This will make them unique and memorable, and will help your reader connect with them. You can use different styles of dialogue, such as stream-of-consciousness, or different language patterns and word choices to give your surreal characters their own voice.
Creating surreal characters can be a challenge, but by using these tips and techniques, you can bring them to life in a way that’s both memorable and captivating. With a little imagination and some careful planning, you can create surreal characters that will leave a lasting impression on your readers.
List of Recommended Books
Metafantastical novels are works of fiction that blend elements of fantasy, science fiction, and surrealism to create an otherworldly experience for readers. These stories often feature surreal characters that challenge our perceptions of reality and take us on a journey through the unknown. Here are some of the best metafantastical novels with surreal characters:
- “The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle” by Haruki Murakami – This novel follows a man named Toru Okada as he embarks on a surreal journey to find his missing wife. Along the way, he encounters a cast of bizarre and surreal characters, including a psychic prostitute and a man with a bird on his head.
- “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” by Douglas Adams – This comedic science fiction novel follows the misadventures of Arthur Dent as he travels through space with an alien named Ford Prefect. Along the way, they encounter surreal characters such as the depressed robot Marvin and the two-headed Zaphod Beeblebrox.
- “The Master and Margarita” by Mikhail Bulgakov – This Russian novel follows the devil and his retinue as they visit Moscow and cause chaos among the city’s literary elite. The surreal characters include a talking black cat and a giant, demonic pig.
- “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” by Lewis Carroll – This classic children’s book follows Alice as she falls down a rabbit hole and encounters a bizarre cast of characters, including the Cheshire Cat, the Mad Hatter, and the Queen of Hearts.
- “One Hundred Years of Solitude” by Gabriel Garcia Marquez – This magical realist novel follows the Buendia family over several generations in the fictional town of Macondo. The surreal characters include a woman who ascends into heaven, a man who lives for centuries, and a child born with a pig’s tail.
- “Neverwhere” by Neil Gaiman – This urban fantasy novel follows a man named Richard Mayhew as he falls into a hidden world beneath London. The surreal characters include a group of assassins called the Black Friars and a woman named Door who can open any door.
- “The Metamorphosis” by Franz Kafka – This novella follows a man named Gregor Samsa who wakes up one day to find himself transformed into a giant insect. The surreal characters include his family members, who react in strange and unexpected ways to his transformation.
Metafantastical novels with surreal characters offer a unique and immersive reading experience that transports readers to otherworldly realms. Whether you prefer science fiction, fantasy, or magical realism, there is something for everyone in these fantastic works of fiction.
Keywords: tips and techniques, tips and techniques for creating surreal characters, tips and techniques to create characters, writing tips and techniques, book creation tips and techniques, best tips and techniques
Check out our Novel Writing Workbooks
Check out Little Tree Food Forest for articles on food forests and homesteading.
Check out FoodieScapes for articles on growing, fermenting and preserving food.