Creating dynamic and well-rounded characters is a crucial aspect of any successful fantasy novel. By adding depth to your novel characters, you can bring your story to life and captivate your readers. Here are some tips and tricks to help you create memorable and believable characters for your next fantasy novel.
Tips for Fantasy Novel Characters
- Give your characters flaws and weaknesses. No one is perfect, and neither should your characters be. Giving them imperfections, such as fears, phobias, or character flaws, can make them feel more real and relatable to your readers.
- Develop their backstory. Understanding your characters’ past experiences and events that shaped them can help you better understand their motivations and actions in the present. It can also add depth and richness to your story.
- Give them unique traits and mannerisms. By giving your characters unique traits, such as a particular accent or way of speaking, you can help your readers differentiate them and remember them. Similarly, developing distinctive mannerisms, such as the way they move or their body language, can also help add depth to your characters.
- Add layers to their motivations. Characters are driven by their wants and needs, so it’s important to understand what motivates them. By exploring the multiple layers of their motivations, you can create characters who are complex and believable.
- Show, don’t tell. Rather than simply telling your readers about a character’s personality, show them through their actions, words, and thoughts. This helps bring your characters to life and makes them feel real to your readers.
By incorporating these tips into your writing process, you can add depth and dimension to your fantasy novel characters.
Keywords: novel characters, fantasy novel characters, creating great novel characters, best novel characers
Check out our Novel Writing Workbooks
Check out Little Tree Food Forest for articles on food forests and homesteading.
Check out FoodieScapes for articles on growing, fermenting and preserving food.