Writing a fiction novel is a challenging task, and one of the most important aspects of any story is the characters. They are the ones who drive the plot, evoke emotions in the reader, and make the story come alive. Here are some tips and tricks to help you create great characters for your fiction novel.
Tips to Create Fiction Novel Characters
- Give your characters flaws. No one is perfect, and the same goes for your characters. Giving them flaws makes them more relatable and human. It also adds depth and complexity to their personalities.
- Make them unique. Your characters should stand out from the crowd and be memorable. Give them unique traits, habits, and backgrounds that set them apart from other characters in your story.
- Give them a goal. Every character should have a motivation for their actions. It could be a desire for love, power, revenge, or anything else. Having a clear goal for your characters will make them more interesting and relatable.
- Develop their backstory. Your characters’ past experiences shape who they are and why they do what they do. By developing their backstory, you can understand your characters better, and it will also help you make their behavior and actions more consistent.
- Use dialogue to reveal their personality. Characters should reveal their personalities through their dialogue. Pay attention to the words they use, their tone of voice, and their body language. These elements can help you create a more rounded and realistic character.
- Show, don’t tell. Instead of just telling the reader about a character’s personality, show it through their actions and behavior. This will make the character more believable and relatable.
Creating great characters takes time and effort, but by following these tips and tricks, you can make your characters stand out and make your fiction novel more compelling.
Keywords: fiction novel, characters for your fiction novel
Check out our Novel Writing Workbooks
Check out Little Tree Food Forest for articles on food forests and homesteading.
Check out FoodieScapes for articles on growing, fermenting and preserving food.